Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What? Really? Why?



So the other day Isaiah was being his usual 1 year old self, and as soon as he was left to his own thought process without the guidance of his parents or older siblings, decided it would be a good idea to try Addie's make-up. And by 'try' I mean 'eat'.So as I'm getting him cleaned up, and get him out of his pink and purple stained PJ's and diaper, he realizes his freedom and makes a dash down the hallway squealing with excitement stopping only to pee on the carpet.
(sorry, no picture available)


Maybe an hour later, I'm downstairs and I hear through the floor a little Addie voice saying, "Mom! Isaiah is eating diewonfgsdo!"
What did she say?
I couldn't make out that last word.
It kind of sounded like she said deodorant, but even Isaiah wouldn't eat deodorant.
So I go and find Isaiah.
Yep.
She said deodorant.
Not only did his lips reek of Right Guard Extreme Cool Peak, there were 4 perfectly spaced groves scraped across the top of the stick promising him all day protection.
What?
Really Isaiah?
Deodorant?
What part of that musky smell made you think, 'I should probably eat this?'

Then there was the green marker incident......
...and then yesterday the floral foam.
Seriously, I am concerned about his decision making skills, not to mention his life.


But as I was dwelling on his actions and thinking how ridiculous and disgusting and poorly thought out they were, I wondered if God ever thinks the same about me? How quickly do I run to something that is disgusting in His sight as soon as I am out of His guidance? And how quickly do I forget His instructions to me? And then I came to Psalm 1.
1Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3He is like a tree planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.

In all that he does, he prospers.

The disgusting things that I am doing (anger, judging others, pride, selfishness, being critical, etc.) would definitely fit into the 'counsel of the wicked, way of sinners, seat of scoffers' category.
So if these are things that I'm choosing to do when left alone to my own thought process, I need to make sure I'm not being left alone.
That's were verse 2 applies.


2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

The blessed man doesn't do those other things, he finds delight in the Word of God, and he's thinking about it day and night. How else can you be thinking about it all day and night if you don't have it memorized? I need to memorize scripture so I can ponder it and chew on it and apply it. Then the next time my kids do something for the umpteenth time that they know they aren't suppose to do and I want to get angry and use a harsh voice, if I had Proverbs 12:18 memorized I could be guided in my decision making and remember that, "There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Or Proverbs 15:1 would race through my head and remind me that, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." But I didn't have those memorized and so instead what came out of my mouth reeked of Right Guard Extreme Cool Peak.


And then maybe an hour later, when I was at a concert I witnessed some interesting styles of worship leading and immediately began judging everything from their clothing to their song choices and if I had 1 Samuel 16 memorized I would have remembered that "For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart." But I didn't. And so I proceeded to judge and compare and came to the conclusion that my style of worship must be more pleasing to God than theirs, right God? As I look up to him with purple and pink sin smeared across my face.


I guess I know who Isaiah gets his decision making skills from.

It's humbling having kids, isn't it?


Lord, I'm truly sorry for my disgusting decisions this past week. I'm sorry for not delighting in Your Word more. Please stir the affections of my heart to want more of You and Your instructions so I can be like a tree planted by streams of water, bearing fruit, and prospering. Help this brain to memorize and retain truths from the Bible. And bring them to mind as I am faced with decisions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, thank you and love you!