Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Shhh! Did you hear that?

I think I have spiritual ADHD. Really. I can't focus or be still for very long whenever I pray or read my Bible. I'll start praying about something really important like wisdom in how to parent my kids and what they are struggling with at the moment, and next thing you know I'm trying to figure out if 2 cups of shredded cheese would be the same as 2 cups of solid cheese. It can't be! So, how big do you think the shredded cheese was before it was shredded? See what I'm dealing with here! Why in the world am I thinking about cheese when my kid's character is at stake!
It takes discipline for me to focus and be still. When I do reach stillness, I can hear His still, soft, loving voice. That is when I meet God and it is always sweet. But I don't get there often enough because I've been programmed to fill empty time with stuff...TV, internet, email, blogging, music, baking, cleaning, gardening, etc. My busyness gets my priorities messed up. I get caught up in making sure the house is clean, and dinners are planned, and laundry is done, and crafts are made, and blogging is interesting. These are all ok to do, but not when it takes priority over being still and knowing God is God.
When I do make myself be still and reflect on God, I hear Him and He makes known what He wants for my life. Our time here on earth is short compared to eternity. Where I'm spending my time is where my heart truly is.
Matthew 6: 19-21 says:
19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

When people think of me, I would rather be known for having raised godly children than having a good blog. I would rather have been a submissive, loving, respecting wife than a good cook. I would rather be known for talking to people about the one true God who can save the world than how Jack Bauer is going to save the world.
I must be still! I must make myself be still so I can know God and do what He really wants me to do!

Lord, please cause me to be still long enough to recognize the hugeness of You and the minusculeness of me. Show me Your truths and help me to change so I value the things You value, things that will prepare me for worshiping You for eternity. Not things that will be destroyed when this earth is gone. Help me to be disciplined in how I use my time. Make my priorities line up with Yours. Change my heart, oh God!

4 comments:

Christina said...

Hello! I was directed to your blog a while ago from Summer's blog, and as I have a little spare time while waiting for my husband to get home, I thought I'd come and pay a repeat visit.

I want to thank you for sharing this post. It was just what I needed today. Really.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think I have it too. Came over from Summer's blog.

Mom Judy said...

I can totally relate to the cheese intrusion while you are trying to listen to God. When I am praying or concentrating on a verse, the next thing you know I am planning a new recipe or a preschool lesson. I'm guessing Eve had the same problem. It must be hereditary.

Donna said...

I think you are speaking the mind of many women - myself included! Thanks for sharing!