Tuesday, May 5, 2009

If I don't cry, a rock will cry out!

In Luke 19, Jesus is making his triumphant entry into Jerusalem. The people begin praising God for all the miracles they had seen Jesus do. The Pharisees didn't like it and told Jesus to rebuke them. Jesus tells the Pharisees, "if they were silent, the very stones would cry out"!
In other words: God is going to be praised, if not from your lips then from the rocks and trees and rivers.
We don't determine when God can be praised. It's happening whether we participate or not. And someday, even the Pharisees and their like will worship God. Romans 14:10-12 says,
For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11for it is written,

"As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall confess to God."

12So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

I don't want to stand before God and have Him tell me that the rock in my wood chips did a better job praising him. Oh, that I wouldn't be ashamed to give You praise!

The thought for this post comes from a song written by my brother. Take a listen.


If I don't cry, a rock will cry out.
Praise will happen whether 'not you hear this man shout!
But, if I don't howl, then let it be heard,
"Foul!" from the creature, every boulder and bird.

Cry out! Cry out! Brother won't you?
Are you not affected when the Lord rides through?
Cry out! Cry out! Sister, what say?
Will the pebble beat your lips to Jesus today?

If I won't yell, well, what's there to fear?
"Hell's not a heater that you dare stand near.
If you won't wail, brother, angels still say,
'Hail to the Holy, Holy, Holy this day!'"

If you don't groan, still it should be known:
Man does not determine when the Lord's on His throne.
If you won't weep, then of you 'twill be said:
"The field stone's wiser than the rock in his head."