Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I spy.......God!


Psalm 19:1

The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

I love looking up into the sky on a clear night and seeing the vast number of stars. It's instantly awe inspiring. It's breathtaking. No words are needed. You can stare at it for hours and not be bored. You can see the work of God in it.

God created the stars, and planets, and the moon to give light to the earth at night (Genesis 1:14-19). And they do it. They do it faithfully. They declare the glory of God night after night. They don't boast in themselves and say, "look how beautiful I am!" When I see the beautiful night sky I don't feel the need to thank the stars for being awesome, I feel the need to praise God for His handiwork in creating something beautiful! The heaven declare the glory of God. And it's done without words and it can be witnessed by all languages and cultures.
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.

3 There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.

4 Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

Not only has God created the heavens to declare His glory, he has also created us to declare His glory. The heavens are doing a pretty good job at it.

Am I?

What was I made to do? What gifts has God given me? I'm a mother and a wife. When I do my jobs rightly (i.e. help my husband, raise my kids, etc.) it should point others to God.

Also, do I recognize God's handiwork in my life, in my world around me? Am I giving glory to the created or to the Creator? For instance, when I smell the aroma of a newly opened package of coffee beans......long sniff.......eyes closed.....mmmm....! I love that smell! Is that where it stops? It shouldn't! If we truly want to give God glory in everything it should be, "Oh! Thank you God for creating the coffee plant, for causing someone to figure out they should roast it, for creating in us a sense of smell, and pleasure, and letting us enjoy it anytime we want!" Maybe not necessarily in those words, but in that moment of enjoyment are you giving God the credit for His creation? Or are you giving Dunn Bros. the credit? Or are you thinking, "Are you kidding me? You're rambling on about a coffee bean!?"

My point is this: Are you seeing God in your everyday life? Are you giving Him the credit He deserves? Do you realize how BIG God is? Or is He just for church, or when you're in trouble?

The heavens are declaring the glory of God, are you?

Lord, show Yourself to me today in everday things. May I give You the credit You deserve. Help me to see the goodness in Your creations. Thank You for rain, and sun, and green grass, and flowers, and seasons, and shelter, and family, and food, and beds, and blankets, and stars, and quiet, and music, and words, and touch, and babies, and chocolate, and friends, and tears, and love, and birds, and colors, and berries, and puppies, and neighbors, and so much more! May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight! (Psalms 19:14)

2 comments:

Judy said...

I loved the use of the simple game- I spy!
Thanks for reminding me to look for God in everything. He is so BIG! And to think He loves us and made us.

DJV said...

Hi Heidi,
Daniel linked me to your blog. I just finished perusing the front page. While the food looks enticing I found myself most drawn to this paragraph, particularly the last sentence, "God created the stars, and planets, and the moon to give light to the earth at night (Genesis 1:14-19). And they do it. They do it faithfully. They declare the glory of God night after night. They don't boast in themselves and say, 'look how beautiful I am!' When I see the beautiful night sky I don't feel the need to thank the stars for being awesome, I feel the need to praise God for His handiwork in creating something beautiful! The heavens declare the glory of God. And it's done without words and it can be witnessed by all languages and cultures."

And I really like the application that you draw from it...namely that our good deeds are meant to have the same kind of universal effect on humanity.

Awesome!