You start by toasting all sorts of nuts and grains.
Then you melt the sticky stuff and mix it all together. Add some dried fruit or some chocolate chips.
Then wrap them up and throw them in the freezer and you've got yourself a great snack!
Thanks Mom! These are great!
Mom Judy's Granola Bars
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 c flax seed, milled
1/4 c quinoa
3/4 c shelled sunflower seeds
1 c chopped nuts (any variety)
1 c shredded coconut
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c agave nectar (or brown sugar)
1/2 c honey
2 tsp molasses
4 T almond butter (or butter)
2 tsp vanilla
4 T peanut butter
1 c dried, chopped fruit (optional)
1. mix first 8 ingredients together and place on a rimmed baking sheet. toast in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes. stir and let cool at least 15 minutes.
2. bring next 4 ingredients to a simmer, stirring continuously. stir in the vanilla and peanut butter and cool for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. put the toasted ingredients and dried fruit in a large bowl and pour the liquid ingredients over it. mix very well.
4. place parchment or wax paper in the rimmed baking sheet and butter the top side, then place the granola bar mixture in the pan. put another butter sheet of paper, buttered side down, on top of the mixture and press down. roll with a rolling pin to make it very tight, smooth, and even.
5. let set for 2-3 hours and cut into desired bar size. makes about 20-24 bars. package in snack size bags or an airtight container. if not using within next few days, store in freezer. they keep very well, and thaw quickly.