Tony was in the mood for chocolate chip cookies and found this recipe from America's Test Kitchen. ATK has never disappointed us yet with one of their recipes, and this is no exception. It is a bit putz-y, mind you, but it you have the time and are up for it, they'll be worth your effort!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
from America's Test Kitchen
10 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar ( white)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar ( soft & fresh)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Line two cookie sheets with parchment.
- Take 10 tablespoons butter and melt and brown in in a metal pan, swirling mixture as milk solids in the butter begin to brown. Pour into a heat-proof bowl.
- Add in 4 tablespoons cold butter and whisk until melted.
- Whisk in the two types of sugar.
- Whisk in the salt, vanilla and then the eggs.
- IMPORTANT: Let mixture stand for three minutes and whisk again. REPEAT this process two more times.
- Combine flour and baking soda. Stir into wet mixture with a large spoon until incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place 3 tablespoons of dough into mounds 2" apart onto cookie sheets.
- Place in center of the oven (only one sheet at a time) and bake for 11-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool ON THE SHEET for 30-60 minutes to ensure the ideal cookie.